How to Suppress Your Appetite to Lose Weight
When facing the battle of the bulge, you are probably convinced that dieting and weight-loss will eliminate the excess fat. And you also believe that eating less is the best way to shed body fat. And you’re right. The ability to control hunger is extremely important! But the question you’re probably asking now is: how to suppress my appetite to lose weight?
The Hunger Game
What are the reasons why you are already hungry way just 2 hours after breakfast? Consider these causes:
- You lack sleep.
Too little sleep is connected to higher levels of the hormone ghrelin, which is responsible for triggering hunger.
- You overate the day before.
If you go to bed with a full stomach, you wake up hungrier than ever. Actually, it is not the amount of food you ate but the type of foods you binged on. If you indulged in too much starch, you experience tricky changes in your blood sugar when your brain believes you are still not full.
- For ladies only: pre-menstrual period.
In women, during thepre-menstrual phase, progesterone production is high. This affects the appetite and general dissatisfaction with the body in general. Interestingly, non-human animals also follow a similar pre-menstrual over-eating pattern.
- You didn’t have a good breakfast.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but eating the wrong food can ruin your entire day. Protein is the most important component for a filling breakfast. If you only ate a piece of fruit or granola bar, your breakfast was not substantial to last before lunch.
- You are taking certain meds.
Medications can stimulate your appetite. In some instances, as soon as you’re done with the course of medications, your appetite will return to normal.
- You develop the diet soda habit.
Drinking zero-calorie sweet soda makes the brain expect that calories are on the way. The taste of the soda alone may trigger the brain to send out some hunger pangs to compensate for that bait-and-switch.
- You are really thirsty.
A bit of dehydration can make you feel tired that you may experience what you think is hunger, when it’s really thirst. Weight-loss experts suggest that you drinka glass of water first and then waiting a few minutes before giving in to a food craving.
- You are bored.
Dopamine is the brain linked to motivation, stimulation and reward. So, when you feel bored, the brain looks for ways to trigger the dopamine neurons for some thrillslike eating.
- You are stressed.
There’s a biological basis for stress-eating, too. In feelings of stress, the body is depleted and needs to refuel. During stress, a couple of brain systems is triggered to increase appetite for fatty, sugary foods.
Suppressants for Hunger and Appetite
Fortunately, advance knowledge and science have come up with suppressants to control appetite and fight hunger. Remember that it is your craving for food that gets in the way of losing weight.
- Natural hunger suppressant is found in your kitchen so you do not need to go far to get them. They are nature’s own ways to suppress your appetite.
- Coffee, taken in moderate amounts with little sugar and cream is a good a natural appetite suppressant and can help rev up your metabolism! Its key ingredient is caffeine which helps you feel full longer.
- Nuts make healthy snack food and a fab appetite suppressant! Being high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, fiber and vitamin E, you can gobble on nuts to fill you up, promote healthy skin and stay healthy.
- Veggie juice is a safe way to suppress your appetite and help you take in fewercalories. The same benefit comes for vegetable broth or any clear soup.
- Oatmeal is always the ideal breakfast as it sticks to your ribs and keeps you full all morning. Make it top on your list of foods that suppress your appetite.
- An apple a day keeps cravings at bay. Apples are packed with fiber and antioxidants are the superstar ingredient to suppress your appetites.
- Cayenne pepper is more than just a spice for cooking. It provides the body with detox support and stimulates digestive system. It’s a hot weight loss aid!
- Mint and green teas have many health benefits and teas are excellent beverage for curbing your appetite.
- Flaxseeds and chia seeds provide you with lots of omega-3s, fiber and protein that helps suppress your appetite and hunger!
- Apple cider vinegar helps to suppress your appetite by releasing glucose into your bloodstream.
- For centuries, ginger root has been used for its digestive benefits.It also makes you feel less hungry than you are.
- Avocados are delicious and full of fiber& heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. They suppress your appetite when eaten in moderation.
- Water suppresses your appetite so it is advisable to drink extra amount ot water every day. By filling your stomach with water, you will be able to control your appetite.
- Dark chocolates have bitter taste that causes decrease appetite while the steric acid slows down digestion to help you feel fuller and satisfied longer.
- Tofu is high in genistein that suppresses appetite and lower food intake.
- There are also techniques to adopt which are considered effective appetite suppressants that have been proven to curb appetite or prevent pangs of hunger.
- Eating more fat is a wise weight-loss strategy. Researchers discovered that oleic acid, a “good” fat, helps trigger the small intestine to produce oleoylethanolamide, compound that finds its way to nerve endings and transmits a hunger-curbing message to the brain.
- Eating satiety is fulfilled when food is cut to smaller pieces compared with eating one larger piece of food with similar calorie-count.
- Getting an endorphin rush, like walking, will burn calories and rev up metabolism; exercise can restore the sensitivity of neurons involved in satiety, which in turn, naturally curbs food consumption.
- Using your senses to incorporate fragrant seasonings into each meal adds to the flavor and releases antioxidants to help you eat less.
- Starting the day right with a good breakfast is ideal.Breakfast skippers eat more and get hungry often. They are 4.5 times more likely to be overweight.
- Slowing down when you eat too quicklycurtails the release of hormones that induce feelings of fullness; while slow eaters take in about four times fewer calories per minute, and experience a higher level of satiety, despite eating less food.
- Setting the mood with soft lighting and music helps rein in eating. Under these conditions, restaurant diners rated their meals as more enjoyable and consumption is18 % less, enough to result in losing between 10 and 20 pounds over a year’s time.
Prescription Weight-Loss Drugs
By eating less and moving more, your weight loss will last; however, for some people, appetite suppressant pills are the only options. But while even using these pills, you have to continue giving attention to your diet and exercise. In other words, pills are only effective under this condition.
Doctor’s prescription is issued if your body mass index is 30 or higher, or at least not lower than 27 and you have a condition that may be related to your weight, like type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Alli Orlistat is an OTC medication used to help people lose weight and it is a category of drugs classified as lipase inhibitors. Its function is to prevent the intestines from ingesting about 25% of the eaten fats.
- Belviqhas effects on the brain’s chemicals that also affect appetite. It is a good treatment for obesity when complemented with diet and physical activities. You can keep taking any other medications your doctor has prescribed to treat these conditions. You should not use Belviq if you are allergic to lorcaserin, or if you are pregnant.
- Contrave is the newest weight loss kid on the block as it is newly approved by FDA. It combines two drugs already on the market: bupropion, an antidepressant, and naltrexone, an anti-addiction drug. Because it contains bupropion, the new drug will have a boxed warning to alert doctors and patients to the increased risk of suicidal thoughts that are linked with antidepressants.
- Phentermine is used with a doctor-approved exercise. It affects behavior change and reduced-calorie diet program to help you lose weight. Belonging to a class of drugs called sympathomimetic amines, this medication suppresses the appetite.
- Osymia is used with a doctor-approved exercise, behavior change, and reduced-calorie diet program to help you lose weight. It is used by certain overweight people, such as those who are obese or have weight-related medical problems. Losing weight and keeping it off can lessen the many health risks that come with obesity, including heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a shorter life.
A beautiful figure is achieved through proper diet and exercise. It gives many advantages in one’s personal life, social relations, work and romance. For those of you who are overweight and whose bellies are protruding; you have all the opportunities to eliminate your excess pounds. But success or failure lies in your hands. This article which revealed the answer regarding how to suppress my appetite to lose weight is a good way for you toget the ball rolling!